DaVinci Kindergarten is a pilot project in which we design, develop and try-out inquiry-based activities for children in the age 4-8. We have worked with children age 4-5 at two kindergartens in Norway. The activities focus on concepts from science, on mathematical thinking and technology.
We present som of the activities that have been developped.
- Show-box– sight lines and mirroring.
- How big is the panther? – measuring, human-based measuring units e.g. foot, thumb(=duym/inch), span (=fathom), step.
- How do you get the light on? – electricity, battery, light, lightbulb, lamp, electrical wire, curcuit.
- What weighs most/least? – experimenting with balance scales and different materials with the same volume and different weight.
- Discover more about your toys. What kind of materials are they made of? – Categorise, recognise, examine the different materials and discover their characteristics.
- Bee-bot – programming a robot.