Socrative is one of the best known responseware programs. We wrote about another responseware program Kahoot earlier. The teacher or presenter designs and starts a quiz on his/her computer. The students can access the quiz on their PC, tablet, iPad or smartphone. The students see the question and can answer. The results are presented graphically can be viewed and shown by the teacher.
Socrative is suitable from primary school level up to university. You can use Socrative to assess knowledge and skills, but you can also use it to engage students using open questions, using it as a tool to gauge prior knowledge, or to vote in a poll.
DiScoro offers workshops in the use of Responseware, such as Kahoot, Socrative, and in how to create various types of questions.
Functionality and review
- Socrative has several options: Quiz, one single question, and Space Race (competition).
- Socrative is user-friendly.
- It takes very little time to start and use Socrative with students.
- Socrative offers Multiple-choice questions with the possibility to indicate more than one correct answer.
- Socrative offers the option to enter open questions where the student writes down his/her own answer.
- You as a teacher can select a student-paced or teacher-paced quiz.
- You can add feedback or hints that will be shown to the students after they have sent in their answer.
- You can upload a picture/graphic with a question, but this is optional.
- Students do not have to be present at the samen location as the teacher, because the students view the questions as well as the answer options as soon as they open the quiz.
- The graphics do not always work well when students use the program on a smartphone.
You will find additional functionality and options, which you should check out for yourself.
|Hardware||PC, tablet, iPad, SmartPhone|
|Requirements||browser on teachers’ computer|